Saturday, May 9, 2015

Winter's Bone


Winter's Bone (2010) stars Jennifer Lawrence as the main character, 17 year-old Ree, who takes care of her sick mother and two siblings. Her father is involved in drug dealing and hasn't been around for a while. A local sheriff shows up one day telling her that her father put up their house and property for his bail and must show up for a trial date or they lose everything. She is determined to find her father, dead or alive and asks people associated with her father about his whereabouts. They warn her to mind her own business or risk getting hurt. She doesn't listen and ends up getting hurt by three women from the clan but they eventually take her to see her dead father's body.

The start of the film seemed a little dull and slow but I was still interested in what was going to happen. When they brought her to find her father's body is when the film became a little gruesome. Ree had to help cut off her father's hands. I think Jennifer Lawrence's performance was great in this scene. It was disturbing to watch. I felt bad for how many hardships her character had to go through at such a young age. However, her traumatizing experience saved the house which meant she didn't have to separate from her siblings. I'm glad it was at least a good ending and I wasn't disappointed with it. Overall, I liked the movie but I'm not sure if I would re watch it.

No comments:

Post a Comment