Wednesday, May 27, 2015

Armani Maldonado: Jaws

When a young woman is killed by a shark while skinny-dipping near Amity Island, a New England tourist town, police officer Martin Brody (Roy Scheider) wants to close the beaches, but mayor Larry Vaughn (Murray Hamilton) overrules him, fearing that the loss of tourist revenue will cripple the town. Ichthyologist Matt Hooper (Richard Dreyfuss) and grizzled ship captain Quint (Robert Shaw) offer to help Brody capture the killer beast, and the trio engages in an epic battle of man vs. nature.
(http://www.rochestercitynewspaper.com/rochester/jaws/Film?oid=2230046)



When I heard that we would be watching Jaws in our film studies class, I was kind of excited. I had never seen the movie prior to our viewing in class and I was curious to see what all the popular enjoyment was about. I ended up being fairy impressed with the overall plot and cinematography of Jaws [can you elaborate on this? Spielberg's use of point of view shots, non-diegetic sound etc.] , the shark model was very convincing and even at times frightening, and there was enough blood and gore to allow the film to just meet the qualifications of a horror film. I did enjoy this film, but not being much of a fan of horrors, I probably will not watch it again. 

1 comment: