Sunday, March 15, 2015

When We Were Kings


When We Were King (1996) is a documentary about the 1974 heavyweight championship between the underdog challenger Muhammad Ali [arguably past his prime and former heavyweight champion of the world] and the [then reigning] heavyweight champion George Foreman. The fight took place in Zaire on October 30, 1974. Throughout the film we see Ali and Foreman's boxing match that ends with Muhammad Ali defeating the champion George Foreman. Ali is able to knock-out the exhausted Foreman in the eighth round of the fight.

Honestly, this film did not pique my interest at all. I couldn't really follow along with it because of this. When I tried to focusing my attention back on the film, I didn't even know what was going on. I don't really enjoy documentaries and being sports related made me even more uninterested [less interested?]. I guess the actual fight was somewhat interesting, but boxing just isn't interesting to me. I understand the appeal to most of the class and others but its just not a film I would watch [What about the drama surrounding the event? What about filmmaker Spike Lee's claim that Ali is an often forgotten hero, who was more than just a phenomenal athlete? What about connections between this film and Malcolm X? And finally, what about the music?].

No comments:

Post a Comment