Friday, March 27, 2015

Dejah Tinney: Crooklyn

Crooklyn, directed by Spike Lee in 1994, in my opinion was a kind of typical back in the day African-American family movie. 

In the early 1970s in Brooklyn, New York lived mother, Carolyn (Alfre Woodard), father, Woody (Delroy Lindo), nine-year-old Troy (Zelda Harris) and her older brothers Clinton (Carlton Williams), Wendell (Sharif Rashed), Nate (Chris Knowings), and her younger brother, Joseph (Tse-Mach Washington). 

I think this movie portrays a typical African-American family at those times because marriage was very common and so was having about 5 children. I can connect to this movie because during the summer, the sister Troy goes down south with her Aunt Song & during the summer when I was younger I used to go down south as well. I don't know if that matters but I felt like a connection was needed.

I loved how realistic this film was, from the main characters and the setting being so detailed and specific even to the Possums sniffing glue on the block. 

There was real life problems and situations. When the mother, Carolyn, was diagnosed with cancer I felt like in a way when Troy came back from down south she was much stronger emotionally than she was before the left but she was always more mature than her other siblings. When she & her brother's received the news about their mother all the brother's broke down and cried but Troy did not. She was strong for her brother's. I believe that the director, Spike Lee, made Troy the strongest because she was the only girl and eventually would have to help out and take the role as the "mother" to her other siblings.


No comments:

Post a Comment