Sunday, March 1, 2015

Badlands


The movie Badlands(1973) could be compared to Bonnie and Clyde(1967) in some ways. For example, a couple commits crimes together in both. However, in my opinion Bonnie and Clyde was a better movie. Badlands seemed very strange to me. I've seen the ratings for this movie and they're mostly good ratings but I don't really understand why people like this movie. It was somewhat entertaining and funny at a few parts, however I didn't really see a point to the movie. All they did was just go around and kill people. 

I didn't like the two main characters, Kit (Martin Sheen) and Holly (Sissy Spacek). Their relationship was weird. I felt that Holly didn't even like Kit that much. At least in Bonnie and Clyde, it seemed that they really liked each other. In general, it felt like Holly had no emotions. She didn't even care when Kit shot her father right in front of her. However, I didn't care about the father either because he killed any sympathy I would have had for him when he killed her dog. Kit was also a very strange character. Killing people seemed like a natural thing to him and throughout the movie he just seemed crazy. He also seemed like a pedophile because of the huge age gap between him and Holly. They were just so awkward. Holly finally came to her senses near the end of the movie when she decided she didn't want to be with Kit anymore. Then Kit decided to let himself get caught by the police, which I didn't get why. However, I thought it was pretty funny how he acted so casual around the other cops.

I really don't understand the appeal of this movie, maybe I'll rewatch it.


No comments:

Post a Comment