Sunday, March 15, 2015

Malcolm X


Malcolm X (1992), directed by Spike Lee, was a powerful film and I enjoyed watching it. I was hoping the movie wouldn't be a boring history movie and I was not disappointed. It was very intriguing and kept my attention the whole time. I knew who Malcolm X was, however, I never really learned much about him in school. I was glad that I was able to learn more about his life. Malcolm X was a legendary African American leader, whose life we were able to watch from his tragic childhood to his assassination. From his father being killed by the Ku Klux Klan, wrongly labeled as a suicide and his mother being placed in a mental institution, Malcolm and his siblings became wards of the state. Malcolm was very smart in school but told from a racist teacher that he couldn't become lawyer because of the color of his skin. Later on Malcolm Little becomes Malcolm X and a minister and human rights activist.

The ending of the movie was shocking and sad as we saw Malcolm X violently assassinated. Leading up to the assassination Malcolm receives many death threats and firebombs are even thrown into his house putting him and his family in danger. Fortunately, everyone was safe. However, the death threats wouldn't stop. He decides to speak publicly at the Audubon Ballroom in Harlem on February 21, 1965 where he is assassinated.

I also want to add that the acting in the movie was fantastic. I felt that Denzel Washington did a great job at portraying Malcolm X. My only reason for possibly not watching it again is because of how long it was (about three and half hours), but I really liked it overall.

No comments:

Post a Comment