Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Malcolm X-Julianna Migliaro

Movies like this are movies to be admired. Not just for the fact that they're highly informative and offer a personal, up close view into the life of Malcolm X, but also because it's almost like a documentary without the long voice overs and boring context. To put it in other words also, the movie was highly educational, while having an interesting plot line, keeping the viewer interested.

I found particular interest in this movie because Malcolm X was never someone I learned about in history class as much as I believe we should have. I find that we learn more about people like Martin Luther King, but why not the others who created a huge impact in attempting to end racism and segregation?

I put a huge emphasis on the word attempting, as some people argue today that racism is no longer a thing. In my own observation, at least in my own community is seems as though in many cases it's our generation against the former. It's sad to acknowledge that things like this are an issue, and honestly I could go on for days about racism, homophobia, transphobia and how messed up it all is, but talking to close-minded people and trying to make change is one of the most difficult things to accomplish, ever.

With that being said, I admire the work of Malcolm X immensely. As a person, it's sometimes really hard to stand up for what it is you believe in, and the fact that this topic both back then and today brings up such violence makes him honorable, as he practically sacrificed his life for the cause.

I suppose this is not the typical blog post about a movie and it's plot, and I will not give the movie a rating based in stars, but I will say that the movie has left a lasting impact on myself. I enjoyed watching it in Film Studies.

1 comment:

  1. Migs,

    I posted some editorial suggestions to your post under AJ's byline. I like how meta you are, especially in stating that it is "not your typical blog post." Nice work.

    Monahan

    ReplyDelete