Sunday, October 16, 2016

Sugar #davidharris

David Harris
Sugar

The movie Sugar (2008) is about a talented Dominican baseball player who longs to break into the American big league and earn the money needed to support his poor family. Miguel Santos is a talented pitcher who might just have what it takes to earn a prized spot on a Major League Baseball team, but before that happens he'll have to prove his worth in the minor leagues.

Advancing into the United States' minor league system at the tender age of 19, Miguel is warmly welcomed into the small-town Iowa home of his host family but can't help but struggle with language and cultural barriers despite the kindness of strangers. Subsequently forced to reevaluate his life's ambition after his once-trusty arm becomes unreliable, the previously single-minded pitcher gradually begins to question both the world he lives in and the role he has chosen to play in it. He then after a while goes to play in the minor league for Kansas City. Sugar was doing well until an injury which left him on injured reserve. He came back and wasn't the same Sugar, so they let him go [did they let him go or did they move him out of a starting spot to a relief spot?].

He ended moving to New York and having a good life over there and living what he thought to be his own American dream. Sugar showed how an athlete can be coming up big time and face a injury or be replaced at any time. I understand because this year of my senior season I thought I had a for sure spot at the running back position and suffered a injury to my hamstring and my left pinkie finger and lost my spot to a upcoming back.

As much as I fight this year, it doesn’t seem I will get my spot back and just like Sugar lost love for the team left to follow his own American Dream and I want to leave follow another dream also [this construction is somewhat awkward/confusing]. I’m in love with track and field; it makes me feel like I'm in another place. Although, football puts me in another world and takes my mind away from my anger, running the 55 meter dash is another beast in itself. Those six to seven seconds in that race I forget about my life problems, and I disappear from the world itself. Those six seconds I’m not David anymore, I’m just a man running with a free spirit.

No comments:

Post a Comment