Thursday, October 27, 2016

Caitlin Willis- Psycho

Caitlin Willis
Intro. to Film Studies
10.27.16


Psycho

        Going into the movie, I was very skeptical of it's good reputation. Everyone praises the movie Psycho for being such a good movie, saying that for such an old film, the content is very high quality. I'm not a big fan of black and white movies (film noir) but I tried to give it the benefit of the doubt. I was very surprised that I actually enjoyed this movie.
        The fact that it was black and white didn't bother me as much as I thought it would've. The plot made up for the fact that it was not in color. Though predictable, it still managed to surprise me because I had to try and wrap my mind around why he would dress up as his mother to do the killings. Norman seemed like such a normal man and to think that he had his mother's skeleton in the basement of his house while casually conversing with people was a bit terrifying.
        Norman also was a bit odd because he talked of his mother as if he'd had romantic feelings for her. He mentioned that a son was a sad excuse for a lover while lying about how his mother had been killed in bed with her lover. It was crazy when I found out that he actually killed his mother, perhaps out of jealousy, and lied about it. He also appeared jealous when discussing how his mother was with a man.
        Psycho was a movie about a crazy man with murderous tendencies. It showed an example of one of his murders and even led up to his arrest. This movie encouraged me to watch Bates Motel, the show based off of the entire Norman Bates and mother situation.

No comments:

Post a Comment