Wednesday, March 15, 2017

Fruitvale Station

Image result for fruitvale station

Fruitvale Station is a biographical drama based on the final hours leading up to Oscar Grant's death. Oscar Grant, played by Michael B. Jordan, was a man trying to turn his life around. After losing his job, he's tempted to go back to selling drugs. He then thinks back to his days in jail and has to make a difficult choice, sell drugs again and risk going back to jail, or stop selling and try to find a way to get by anyways. Oscar chose to stop selling. In my opinion, it takes a strong person to give up an old habit. Especially if that habit will help your family financially [Insert Oprah quote?].

Their time at the eponymous train station kept me in suspense. While I didn't know what would happen, the title of the movie told me that something important would happen when they reached Fruitvale Station.  Due to the movie's portrayal of Oscar as a family man down on his luck, I was really rooting for him to survive even though I was almost positive he would not. During their time waiting for news about Oscar in the hospital, my thoughts went to T (Ariana Neal), his 4 year old daughter waiting for him at home and the promise he made her before he left that night [Chucky Cheese?].

At the end of the movie when Oscar's mother went to the morgue she asked the nurse if she would hug him. This brought me back to when Oscar was in jail and his mother told him she wouldn't be coming to visit him anymore. He kept asking her over and over again for a hug. I felt that these moments were connected. This scene really pulled at my heartstrings when his mother (Octavia Spencer) said, "He didn't like to be alone."

No comments:

Post a Comment