Wednesday, March 29, 2017

Caitlin Willis - Creed

Caitlin Willis
Intro to Film Studies
Mr. Monahan

Creed


          This 2015 action film, directed by Ryan Coogler, portrays hard work, dedication, and the act of coming from the shadows. In this film, a very overlooked African American man, Adonis Jackson, discovers his ability to box. His father, Apollo Creed, a very famous fighter who had long past, had left him when he was young [in actuality Apollo was killed in the ring while Adonis/Donnie was in utero].  In search for answers, he sets out to find his father's old friend, another famous boxer who was the star [technically Sylvester Stallone is the star; Rocky Balboa is the character/protagonist] of the film Rocky, named Rocky Balboa. It follows him [what follows him exactly?] during his journey of hard work, dedication, and making a name for himself rather than reclaiming the one his father left behind.

          This is by far one of my favorite films. I watched Creed long before I even saw Rocky, but now that I've seen both, I like watching how the two movies tie into each other. My favorite actor, Michael B. Jordan is the star of this film, as he was with Fruitvale Station, and he portrays Adonis. SPOILER ALERT!!! Even though he didn't win the fight against heavy weight-champ and 'pound for pound greatest living boxer' "Pretty" Ricky Conlan, he still managed to put up a fight better than anyone expected. He went for all 12 rounds when people were expected him to get knocked out during the second or third. His drive was extremely evident during the long fight scene, and it had my and all of my other classmates' adrenaline running. The music added into the excitement, with the fast paced, energetic, non-diegetic songs [excellent point; bahm bahm puh bahm puh.... 'Feelin' strong now... Gonna fly now'].
       
This film still proves to be one of my favorites, more so than ever now that I'm aware of the special elements this film has [Noooo! Good post Caitlin, but I would really like it more if you could expand this final paragraph.

No comments:

Post a Comment