Wednesday, March 15, 2017

Fruitvale Station- Michelle Negron


Image result

I watched the movie on Netflix, and I quickly thought this movie is pointless. I have never heard of this movie, but it started off dark (literally with a nondiegetic exchange between its main character and his girlfriend; SPOILER ALERT!!! It then briefly shifts to archival footage shot by an onlooker's phone before flashing back to its narrative beginning]. I was confused watching it at first, but then it got to the point. It showed a footage of it happening in real life, then it got to the movie [Yes!]. I was intrigued from then on

Fruitvale Station shows many perspectives that police brutality and the struggle to a good life is hard. He [Oscar Grant] had a daughter and that's all he said when he got shot.  Oscar Grant (Michael B. Jordan) was a young man trying to hold up his daughter and baby mamma. I wouldn't want to spoil the movie for anyone, but this movie really touches many issues young adolescents and adults go through. His baby mom, Sophina (Melonie Diaz) just wanted her boyfriend to stay out of trouble and stay in his daughter's life. So many people recorded what happened to Oscar Grant. 

I've never experienced anything involving the cops, but it hit home for me. As a daughter of two parents, I can't begin to imagine the void Oscar's daughter has in her heart knowing that the cops shot her father for no reason. I recommend this movie to everyone even if you don't relate to it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment