Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Shawn Luzzi Rocky thoughts (So far, atleast...SPOILER WARNING!!)


Shawn Luzzi

Intro to Film Studies 9/3/14

Rocky initial thoughts so far... (SPOILER WARNING!!)


I'll be honest, I have never watched a Rocky movie in my life, though I have heard of its popularity and pop culture references as I lived my life. Being able to watch this film, I began to just get a bit suspicious as Sylvester Stallone, whom was the actor for Rocky, was the writer for this film himself. I was afraid he'd make Rocky more of a "Gary Stu", as in a really overpowered character with no problems and get's all the ladies. However, that wasn't really the case as the movie opened up with Rocky getting repeatedly jabs in the face by his enemy boxer in the ring. The camera and the motions, as well as the run-down setting of what seemed like a church being used for a boxing arena instead is what made Rocky seem very small, even after he was able to triumph over his opponent by savagely beating him down. 

Another point I had notice as well was Rocky's reaction towards insults and such. At first, with the crowd calling him a bum and a loser, he seemed to shrug it off in the ring. But after collecting money for a boss of his and getting called a meat-head, he seemed to snap. Perhaps this is an example of holding it in, I'd have to watch the rest of the film to assure that. Also, the Camera angles also do a nice job in the beginning to make Rocky seem very small compared to the rest of the world, making the boxer seem like a minuscule ant instead of a famous and powerful boxer. 

4 comments:

  1. I love the specifics of Rocky's feelings and how he is portrayed in the movie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great Shawn! Love how clear and specific you were.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome post, Shawn! I like how pointed out that Rocky is not a "Gary Stu". Before watching this movie (it was also my first time seeing it), I expected Rocky to be this big, strong boxer who gets all the ladies and does everything right, too. But Rocky's character is far from that and he deals with many struggles. I also like how you noticed the camera angle that made Rocky appear "small" compared to the rest of the world. Nice attention to detail!

    ReplyDelete