Tuesday, September 2, 2014

Into the Storm

Ever since I was a young kid, I have been interested in weather. Whenever there was heavy rain or thunderstorms, I would often race to the window, open the curtains and blinds, and watch mother nature in action. Several summers ago, my mom dug out an old VCR tape from a container in my basement. It was the classic tornado movie, Twister. I loved that movie. But when I watched it again earlier this year, I realized how old the special effects were. What had once amazed me was no longer impressive. The tornadoes didn't look real at all, and I had wished that a modern version of Twister was created, considering how life-like today's special effects are. About six months later, I saw an advertisement on tv for this exciting movie, called Into the Storm. My dreams had come true!

About a month later, on my birthday, my mom, sister, and I went to the theater to go see it. The theater was quiet, and I had arrived early just in time to view all of the previews. They had always annoyed me. While some movies looked interesting, I was always so eager to see the film that I came to the theater for in the first place. Finally, after about fifteen minutes, the previews had stopped, and the film had started. I hoped I wouldn't be disappointed.

As it turned out, I wasn't. I loved the movie from start to finish. It was like riding a rollercoaster: there are some calm points, and just when you think everything is over, another huge hill to climb and race down comes into view. The special effects were fantastic, and the storyline was very well developed. Like most disaster movies, the beginning starts off calm; everything is normal. Life carries on as usual. But then, everything changes, and for the characters, life will never be the same. In the aftermath of the cataclysmic disaster, just about every single structure that had stood tall in the town had been flattened like a pancake. Lives were lost, precious irreplaceable items had been demolished forever. But it was truly amazing to see a change in the characters. The father, who was the principal of the school (knocked down by the tornado) was no longer so uptight, so rigid. Students from the school who had previously, in my opinion, acted like jerks changed completely. Forgetting all of the hostilities and insecurities, everyone was just thankful to be alive.

No comments:

Post a Comment