Thursday, September 4, 2014

Arielle Outlaw:Journal Entry 1

One movie in particular that I would never  cause me to be weary is " Baby Boy ". In this film a middle-classed man named Jody wants to be entitled as a man when he continues to live as a child. He opens up with a fact stating from a female doctors studies about how black men according to her theory due to the system of racism a black man in America thinks of himself as a baby , a not yet fully formed human being. Jody is faced with many obstacles through out his journey of becoming a man ; trying to raise his two kids , drama with his mom's new boyfriend , trouble with his girlfriend and in the mist of all his probelms pandering where he's going to get the funds from to support his family. In the beginning , of the film Jody is informed that his girlfriend Yvette is pregant an by the look on her faces knows things are only going to get more stressful. 

Yvette has been trying to push the issue of having Jody move in and becoming a family with their child. Jody is currently staying with his mom and her new boyfriend Melvin. Jody stays with his mom rent and stress free. Melvin and Jody don't have the best relationship , but they're cordial with each other respect for Jody's Mom. As Jody's mom is heading to the car to enjoy a night with Melvin , Jody shouts to his mom to bring him back a fat burger with chesse adding lettuce tomato following by Mom yelling to go inside as if he is a child. In my eyes this movie is undineably my " gulity pleasure " despite the fact that I love the actors and plot in this movie , I'm able to make personal connections to various parts in the film. 

So far I am enjoying Intro to Film Sudies. I feel as though the class is causes me to look at situations in films on a different level. I'm looking forward to watching various types of films in class and the class discussions that we may have. A couple of suggestions I have for class is maybe we can compared old films that were remade today. For example , The Great Gatsby and King Kong past and present are two movies I would love to watch an compare the differences and similarities between the two.

No comments:

Post a Comment