Sunday, September 7, 2014

Myles Darius; Rocky vs. Mean Girls


Even though my class has just started to get into the movie "Rocky", I can already tell that this is a movie that I am anticipating to see more and more of. While evaluating this movie, I've discovered various parts that I feel have a deeper meaning towards it, e.g when the boxing trainer/coach yells at Rocky, he's yelling at Rocky to give him a reality check, and he feels as though Rocky is wasting his potential tone an amazing fighter. I feel as though this part specifically is important because sometimes in life, we all need a reality check to help us evaluate our life and what we actually want to do with it. 

Rocky doesn't remind me any movie in particular, but it does allow me to connect to the movie "Mean Girls". I can connect to the movie Mean Girls because if you pay attention closely to the movie Rocky, you can see that there are two parts that are very similar -- for example, as i said before, the coach giving Rocky a reality check, reminds me of when Janice Ian saw that Cady was changing fully into a actual mean girl, she had to yell at Cady and really open her eyes. Another scene that is in Rocky that is similar to Mean Girls, is when Rocky looks in the mirror at his picture, thinking of the past, there is a scene in Mean Girls where Aaron Samuels, looks at Cady's pictures of the person she used to be back when she was in Africa, and thinks about the person she is now. 

I actually am very interested in my Intro to FilmStudies class. I'm sure that this class will open my eyes to what's really happening in the movies and leave me eager to learn more about them. 

2 comments:

  1. I love how you connected Rocky to Cady. I would have never thought they related, but now I see how they are very similar.
    Thank you for sharing your thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post, Myles! Nice connection to Mean Girls! I like how you described the similarities between Rocky and Cady as they are looking in the mirror and evaluating what has become of their lives.

    ReplyDelete