Wednesday, June 10, 2015

I Got Bored

Previously in my viewing of The Tree of Life, I had gone into detail justifying my reasons for liking this film. To most people, it will likely seem strange and unusual upon watching it for the first time, and I am not exempt from this viewpoint. But on the other hand, this is the aspect that I liked about it. The seemingly nonexistent storyline intrigued me, along with the breathtaking shots of the ocean, outer space, volcanoes, mountains, and other vivid imagery. The cinematography was the most beautiful I have ever seen. The glimpses of a storyline, intertwined with these shots, signaled that the movie had some sort of meaning, however it was unclear as to what it was.

After about an hour of dreamy landscapes and emotion-inducing scenes, along with sparse lines of poetry, this all changes. The plot comes in, and it begins to look and feel more like a typical movie. This point is where I began to lose my attention.

Put simply, this film is about a man named Jack, who had a depressing childhood. His father, who I recognized as Brad Pitt, was nothing short of an a**hole most of the time, in my opinion. He was extremely strict and oppressive, demanding that his son treat him with the utmost respect, requiring him to say "yes sir," and only being able to speak when instructed to do so during instances such as dinnertime. I for one could not be happier that I wasn't raised like that. Clearly this upbringing made a negative impact on the entire family, including the father's wife in this overtly traditional family. The man was in charge, and he could basically do anything to her, including violence, without an issue. Jack also witnessed tragedy among his friends, one of whom died by drowning in a pool. But despite his sufferings as a child, he was able to forgive his father. The class did not quite get to the ending of the film, therefore I am unsure of how it finishes, but I did read that Jack begins to appreciate life as it is, hence the movie's name. People die, people get sick... it happens. But life must go on.

Overall, The Tree of Life is not a bad film, although it would not be high on my list of films to re-watch. The first half is absolutely stunning and captivating. Future cinematographers should definitely get a good look at Terrence Malick's film. But for those who want to see action, a fast-paced plot, or a non-symbolic premise, look elsewhere. This film is like a poem mixed with abstract art: it can be interpreted in many different ways, and everyone sees it differently.

No comments:

Post a Comment