Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Beasts of the Southern Wild by Walatsebi Kofi-Mensah Lomotey




This movie was abnormal so it caught my attention. This little girl with tons of pets and stray animals surrounding her in this place of what looked like hurricane ruins. This place was called the bathtub. The mini lesson before viewing this movie was “Utopia.” The bathtub was their understanding of an Utopia. This is where people actually lived. They ate healthy and depended on what the waters brought them. This place was very makeshift and tarnished. It was weird to me because the people loved it so much. I don't see how you could love such a dump like they lived in. I have to live in the condition of public facilities, sewage, and definite places to get resources. What I learned from this movie is that not everyone has the same mind set and thinks the same. What I might think is normal others might think is crazy. The father absolutely despised the real world. I guess he just felt like the way he lived was the best way. People from outside their utopia tried to have them evacuated from their homes which caused stress and anxiety. All these people wanted was their piece of mind in their own free space. I felt bad for hush puppy because she already didn’t have her mother and her father was dying. I also felt bad because I feel like she didn't grow up in the right environment but at the same time it had its perks. I think living in the conditions she did made her strong and independent even at her young age. In all utopias there comes a point where you have to be strong. Life is not easy anywhere thats why people try to find their utopia and their nirvana.

No comments:

Post a Comment