Wednesday, November 25, 2015

Prior Film Experience- Emanuel Luck

I always had a thing for movies and I really do enjoy watching them.  Movies have a way of taking you out of reality and putting you into the director's world; how he/she see’s things or how they want the world to be.  One of my favorite movies is The Matrix and lucky for me it is a trilogy.  The whole entire concept of the movie was taking the viewer out of his comfort level and showing him a possible universe.  The Wachowski Brothers created a world that they thought of, then created it.  To me that is just incredible I would have never been able to create something of that level, in some sense they seem to see the world in a different type of way.  Often times when viewers watch this movie they see just what is presented in front of them.  But most of the time the director and producer have done more than just what they have put in front of you.  They have hidden a message that only few see and only viewer can get.  Maybe that is why I love the Matrix so much. It had tons of hidden messages just waiting to be discovered.  I remember one time I was watching a short film on the analysis of the Matrix and this guy went in on just one small scene of the Matrix, like he spent at least 12-14 minutes just talking about how the glasses wore when Neal was offered the pill had two different outcomes. The first lenses showed if Neal denied the pill and how he flips off Morpheus then walks away, and in the second lenses it shows Neal accepting his fate as the chosen one by taking the pill.  But to me that is the crazy thing. If you didn't look for it you would have never found it almost like a secret hidden right in front of you.

Often times when you think about movies, your favorite movie might appear, or a scene from an iconic movie might pop through your head but to me the question often is, what was the movie suppose to do for me as the viewer?  When I saw Selma, I was inspired.  I left the movie theater feeling as if I could do anything, and that I was proud to be a black man.  The movie also did something for often races watching it though, it showed and gave a glimpse of the black struggle making it uncomfortable for them so that they could one better relate and two not forget when they left their seats. And to me that is what a movie is supposed to do. It is supposed to bring out emotions and change views and change hearts, even if it was just for the few hours screen time it had, it was suppose to do something, something important, something that would allow me to be taken out of my world even if it was only for just a short time.

No comments:

Post a Comment