Wednesday, October 14, 2015

Man on Wire 2

Man on Wire was a rather interesting film. While I'm usually not one for documentaries, this 94 minute feature carries a certain charm to it that managed to keep my interest all the way through. What's interesting to me about this documentary is - for one - the topic. The very idea of walking across a cable from WTC tower to WTC tower is frankly intimidating, which makes the film all the more interesting. Perhaps my interest for the film stems from the same mindset as to why Phillippe performed the stunt; the sheer thrill of such an unthinkable feat is too strong to resist, so we are naturally pulled towards it?

Additionally, I enjoyed Phillippe as a person too. He was genuinely excited about the documentary, and his detailed and enthusiastic recollection - almost as if he were a book- of what happened during the planning and execution of the stunt brought vivid images of staring down at the Manhattan roads, as if I were in his shoes while walking the gap between the towers; and given my immense fear of heights, I felt sheer terror, in contrast to Phillippe's fearless attitude.

I'm usually drawn away from documentaries and works of non-fiction (both literary and film) due to their inability to draw me in and make me feel as if I'm part of the action, but this film captures the inclusive spirit that so many others lack, which is why I enjoyed it so much.

No comments:

Post a Comment