Saturday, December 6, 2014

Chicago

When we started the film Chicago, at first it reminded me of the movie Burlesque because the main character, Roxie Hart, fantasized about being a star on the stage just like the main character in Burlesque wanted to also perform on stage. The stage in general with the dancers really seemed similar to Burlesque so I assumed the plot would be similar. However, I was wrong. Out of no where Roxie suddenly shoots the man she was having an affair with, Fred Casely. Then she is taken to prison. I wasn't really expecting it to turn out this way. I had heard of the musical, Chicago, before however, I never really knew what it was about. This beginning intrigued me to want to watch more. 

The theme that sticks out to me the most in this film is corruption. One example would be the character, Matron "Mama" Morton, played by Queen Latifah. As we heard from her song "When Your Good To Mama", she'll do favors for the women in the prison as long as she gets something in return such as money. 

Something else I noticed is that most of the women are crazy. They murdered people without having good reasons. One that really surprised me was the one woman who shot her husband for popping his gum. It was pretty funny but insane. I'm also enjoying the music so far in this film. Chicago is pretty different from the musicals I have seen, but it's keeping me entertained. 

I'm shocked that the media actually believed the story from what Roxie and her new lawyer Billy Flynn said about what happened when she shot Fred Casely. Then it was bizarre how she became an overnight sensation. She is also gaining more attention then Velma and I can tell there is a rivalry brewing between them. 
    
I'm curious to see what is going to happened next with Roxie and Velma and there rivalry between each other. I can't wait to watch more!

No comments:

Post a Comment