Tuesday, January 6, 2015

Armani Maldonado's Thoughts on Bonnie and Clyde(1967)

As much as I do not condone robbery, I actually did enjoy watching the 1967 film Bonnie and Clyde. I very much found the romance blended with action theme of the film [would it be more precise to say "genre" rather than "theme"] to be very intriguing! I also find it interesting that this film is based on the true story of Bonnie Parker and Clyde Barrow.

I do also feel as if Bonnie got a better back story than Clyde. I know neither of them got much, but I feel like I could understand why Bonnie would want to be involved in armed robbery more than Clyde. Bonnie seemed to crave some sort of rush in her life. But Clyde? I did not see as much of a strive [strive or drive?] in Clyde than I saw in Bonnie [somewhat awkward construction].

Now, about this ENDING [why are you yelling?]. Why did they need to shoot Bonnie and Clyde dead? Couldn't they just be taken into custody? Did they ever kill anyone [yes, they did. Most likely several law enforcement officers were killed during gun battles with the Barrow Gang. Also, shortly after CW joins the gang there is a parking mishap that results in Clyde shooting a bank employee in the face]? I mean I know they sent that sheriff [more precisely Texas Ranger Frank Hamer] into the lake but did he even die [no, he did not; actually it is the same Frank Hamer who has an ax to grind after being made a public laughingstock by the gang that arranges the deal with Malcolm, CW's father, that ultimately results in what you accurately describe as their grizzly execution] ?

Why couldn't they put as much effort into killing them into just arresting them [although filmmakers often stray from the truth in order to create dramatic tension etc. by all accounts the deaths of Bonnie and Clyde do appear to be historically accurate. Additionally, I and others before me have theorized that director Arthur Penn was making a statement about violence in the media during the Vietnam War era]? Other than these things, I did again find the film to be very interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment