Thursday, November 6, 2014

Psycho - My Impressions

I enjoyed director Alfred Hitchcock's Psycho very much! It took surprised me very much [It took me by surprise (he's not considered the Master of Suspense for nothing!)], and I didn't know that it was going to end like that. The only problem with the movie was that I thought it was very short [it in fact runs 109 minutes, about twenty minutes longer than today's standard movie fare], that may of just been me but this is what I saw.

I really like the main character/protagonist, Norman [at what point is Norman, as portrayed by Anthony Perkins, revealed to the main character? And how frequently does it take a storyteller forty-five minutes to introduce her protagonist?]. He is a very interesting character. Just the way he acts and talks, makes him very different. Also how he almost cracks under Sam. It was also interesting how he loved to talk about birds. Birds usually resemble peace or freedom, so what does that say about him? [Awesome; very nice analysis of the use of symbol and irony]  Maybe he wanted peace from everyone. Maybe he wanted to be free from the little Motel he worked at. He didn't seem to mind the Motel, but I bet living in the same place for your whole life could get very boring and uninteresting.

Another thing I liked about the movie was when Sam and Lila [Crane] go to the Motel. They try to pull off a couple look, and it seems that Norman doesn't even notice a resemblance to Marion and Lila. Did he try to forget her or just not notice? Or maybe he did notice, but didn't say anything. Then again, a lot of people can look similar, so he could've just brushed it off. I wonder what was going on in his thoughts as he saw her?

No comments:

Post a Comment