Wednesday, November 15, 2017

"Who's The Real Psycho?" by Yasmin Abuhatab

Pyscho. Dir. Alfred Hitchcock  Feat. Norman Bates ( Anthony Perkins), Marion Crane (Janet Leigh), Lila Crane (Vera Miles ), Sam Loomis (John Gavin) made in 1960. 

       Psycho is a spectacular film  -  there are so many plot twists that there isn't a dull moment. What really surprised me was the power it had over my attention. For a film made in the 1960s, I really commend Alfred Hitchcock for the way this film was executed. The beginning was a bold and risky one. Typically when I think of the 1960s I see more modesty and respect compared to the movies today. The beginning started off as an imitate scene without it being too inappropriate,  Marion Crane (Janet Leigh) was in bed with a married man Sam Loomis ( John Gavin). Their conversation left the audience intrigued and curious where the film will lead to. It was clear that Marion Crane really loved Sam and that she would do anything for him. So Marion decided to take action and started to draw the line, she wanted more out of their relationship. She wanted a respectful and official relationship instead of the extended lunch breaks and a business trip to meet each other. At first, I thought Sam was on the same page as Marion.
He was willing to meet her sister and have a home cooked meal with them. But when Marriage was brought up he quickly swayed the conversation towards his financial burdens with his ex-wife and how he's constantly paying her alimony and his father's debt. I perceived that as he wasn't completely committed to Marion, he just wanted an excuse so they can continue to meet in secret.

      However,  later in the film, it got even more exciting it had drama, mystery, and horror all in one. That's what I loved about the film. I was definitely shocked that Marion would get to the point where she would steal money. She stole about 40k to cover Sam's financial burdens, which is about 300,000 dollars today. So that was crazy, then it got out of hand when Marion ended up going to the Bates Motel and met Norman Bates. My first impression of Norman Bates wasn't good, he was weird and he looked psychotic from the way he spoke, at that point I didn't know about any killings or anything so I see why the film was named psycho. My red flag was when he said his hobby was "Taxidermy". When I saw that display and no witnesses or people around that would have been my stopping point.

      My favorite part was the ending, it was nothing like I suspected. I really believed that Norman Bates' mother was crazy but out of respect, he didn't place her in a Psychiatric hospital. Finding his mother's skeleton with a wig and her clothes on was a next level mental disorder. But to find out that he truly thought that he was both himself and his mom was mind-blowing, he was suffering from a multiple personality disorder. The creepiest part was when Norman's mother said " It's sad when a mother has to speak the words that condemn her own son. But I couldn't allow them to believe that I would commit murder, They're probably watching me. Well, let them. Let them see what kind of person I am. I'm not even going to swat that fly. I hope they are watching...they'll see and they'll know, and they'll say, "why she wouldn't even harm a fly" - Norman's mother's voice.

No comments:

Post a Comment