Thursday, November 2, 2017

Sugar by Orlando Rodriguez

Sugar. Dir. Ryan Fleck and Anna Boden. feat Algenis Perez Soto.
Sony Pictures Classics, 2009


                                 Sugar Review


I think sugar is a film that is very relatable to anybody who ever tried to use sports/baseball as a way out of a tough situation but I think it is especially relatable because of its hispanic theme. I like the fact that the movie has a lot of parts that are relatable to spanish people like me because it makes it that much more engaging to see your culture depicted in film. Everything from the slangs/language, to the food and music is relatable. Even the sport of baseball itself is a huge part of hispanic culture so if nothing else the film is interesting just to see all these things come together. Even though all these things resonated with me personally I don't think it adds much to change the fact that the film’s ending was kind of boring.


To me the movie is a 5 out of 10. Like I said, I really like hearing spanish music in the film and seeing spanish food, or even the clash of cultures, but removing the fact that I relate to the film I honestly have to say it wasn't a very good movie. I originally thought it would be about Roberto Clemente which would’ve been a lot more interesting to watch so that was my first disappointment. Putting all bias aside I can imagine that this entire film may have been even more boring to someone who had to read subtitles through the whole film or really doesn’t have much about it they can relate to. On top of this I think the movie is very misleading. The main character's name makes him sound sensational, or like he’s bound to be something great by the end of the film, which simply is not the case. He ends up living an average immigrant life in the United States which is anything but entertaining. So essentially you end up sitting through an hour of subtitles just to see something you can see by walking through a neighborhood like Fair Haven, that's honestly disappointing.

If it isn't clear by now that I don't think highly of this film, maybe I can clarify by saying I would not suggest this film to someone. If you want to see a person live their life with really nothing spectacular happening you can save a few hours by just going outside and watching people live. If you like to watch something you can relate to, and are the type of person that doesn't like new or thrilling things, then maybe this is the film for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment