Monday, November 20, 2017

Psycho Character Analysis By Juwan Sims

Psycho is a 1960 American psychological horror film directed and produced by Alfred Hitchcock, and written by Joseph Stefano, starring Anthony Perkins as Norman Bates, Janet Leigh as Marion Crane, John Gavin as Sam Loomis, Vera Miles as Lila Crane and Martin Balsam as Milton Arbogast, and was based on the 1959 novel of the same name by Robert Bloch. I personally haven’t seen the the first half hour of the movie but from what I saw the story was interesting. I don’t think anyone would be able to predict what happen at the end. (Spoiler Alert)

In my opinion I thought Psycho was good. From the characters to the story it told, like Norman Bates (Anthony Perkins) having multiple personalities and the audience not being to tell until the end. It had people believe that his mother was still alive and might be crazy but still “loving” to her son. Then Marion Crane (Janet Leigh) was the person who would stop at nothing to find the answer she needed. All to know if her sister, Lila Crane (Vera Miles) was alive or not and if she has really stole 40 thousand dollars. Lila’s boyfriend Sam Loomis (John Gavin) didn’t really contribute too much in the search of his girlfriend and was kinda just there and wasn’t needed until the big climax of the ending. Where he just help Marion search the hotel, be a distracted and save Marion life. Now the best character for last and my personal favorite, the Private Investigator Milton Arbogast (Martin Balsam) even though he does die in a way I found funny, he was the most helpful in finding out what happens to Lila. To finding the motel, the room she stay in,  and telling Marion and Sam about the hotel with his current findings. The moments up to his death I found funny because from what I saw was him coming up the stairs and as soon as he touch the last steps up the stairs Norman “mother” comes up and stabs him right away. Which give me the initial thought of his “mother” just being killing crazy.

If I were to rate this movie I’ll give it 8/10 for being such a good movie even for it time period and being timeless.      

No comments:

Post a Comment