Monday, November 6, 2017

What a Psycho!


Director: Alfred Hitchcock
Writers: Joseph Stefano (screenplay), Robert Bloch (novel)
Stars: Anthony Perkins, Janet Leigh, Vera Miles 

The 1960 film, Psycho, is nothing short a classic thriller. It can easily be named a "must see" by anyone, not to mention, it was nominated for an Academy Award and even won Best Motion Picture. Believe it or not, in my seventeen years of life, I never viewed this movie up until now, although its been out way longer than I've been alive. However, if I do say so myself, this movie is definitely worth the hour and forty-nine minutes it runs. Yes, it is a little difficult to watch considering the quality and vintage feel of the film. Being that in 2017 there is a lot more advanced technology and of course, better actors, this one took a little more concentration to get into.

About 20 minutes into the film, I was almost sure that the protagonist was Janet Leigh, a woman who goes psycho (hence the title) after her newfound, or stolen, wealth begins to get to her head. However, not even 20 minutes later, our leading lady is killed off by the owners mother, while she stays at the Bates Motel. So who's our main character? That's where we meet Norman Bates, the owner, who we soon learn is the REAL psycho. The man literally dresses up as his mom (who he "pins" the killings on) and kills people, including our presumed leading lady. We even find out later that he killed his OWN mother (who he pretends to be). Crazy shit right?  This was the biggest plot twist for me, as well as the point where my interest peaked.

Although I was fascinated by the absurdity of Norman Bates, I was also rather confused. What exactly was wrong with Norman? We didn't learn much about him or his background and why he is the way he is. In my opinion, that takes away from the film and leaves way too many lingering questions to give this film a solid 10/10.

Overall, Alfred Hitchcock's Psycho, was significantly competent film, considering the plot and it's timing. It left me satisfied even though some parts seemed a bit melodramatic. I suggest everyone sees this movie start to finish at least once. You will not be disappointed.


No comments:

Post a Comment