Friday, May 19, 2017

Jaws

Gabby Jeannette
5/10/17


Jaws... a classic that everyone knows about, whether you have seen it before or just heard of the movie. Everyone knows it and what it is about.  Just because it's a classic and well known, doesn't make it great. Yes, it is attention grabbing, but that's only after the first 40 minutes when the climax slowly occurs. Basically, I am saying the movie is enjoyable, but the fact that it took so long to amp up steered me away from my ability to love it. I feel as if the plot and on screen conflict behind certain characters wasn't needed, I say this because it didn't help the story line at all just made you want to get to the end faster.

My father let me watch this movie with him when I was in 6th grade, and now first of all I'm starting to question his choice as a parent. Also, looking back on it, reviewing it, I definitely wouldn't rate it as PG. The standards for rating in this day in age are very strict. If you ask me the multiple scenes with blood and gore, swearing, etc raise the rating to at least a PG-13. There needs to be some viewer discretion!

Back to the film's set up and physical aspects, I'd say it was set up very to the point. The sets were not over decorated or too fancy. The music, John William's score, wasn't over the top. Lastly, the special effects and stunt scenes were as expected. But for a movie made in 1975, the structure of the movie was made decently well.

Since I have a bias because of all of the high definition movies that I have watched, this quality and effects were below average for me.  But one thing that I will give the movie respect for is the realism of the shark; it doesn't look fake, like a robot, or like it's copy and pasted into the movie. If you ask me, I believe that the movie as good and all the good aspect got put together once the three characters were out at sea, prior to that it was just another movie to never watch again.

 Keeping in mind the year, all and all, this movie was enjoyable for what it was. I'm not sure if I'd recommend it to a friend because there are plenty of other good shark movies to enjoy. But it was good enough to where I don't regret watching it and also, I would watch it again with out complaints.

No comments:

Post a Comment