Tuesday, May 9, 2017

Jaws #PIReviews

Jaws: Review/Analysis
By: Cameron Smith
Image result for jaws

Directed by: Stephen Spielberg
Starring: Roy Scheider, Richard Dreyfuss, Robert Shaw, Murray Hamilton.

   Ah, yes... the definition of classic! Arguably Spielberg's best, and undoubtedly the film that put him on the map. What it did (and still does) expertly is mix the most exciting elements of film: including horror, suspense, comic relief, conflict, salty dogs, song, and greedy, unlikable politicians. I'm not saying anything new here, since I've heard not one casual viewer or critic argue in opposition of this film. As an audience member, I believe this film to be extremely exciting and enjoyable, never having a dull or unneeded moment; it makes me scared, giddy, full of laughs, and on the edge of my seat every time. From an aesthetic point of view, I don't know how anybody can jump to the conclusion of "outdated and fake," as Bruce the Mechanical Shark plays his role expertly and the blood looks realistic to the point where there should be a disclaimer of "NO PEOPLE WERE HARMED..." On a serious note, I love how this film makes me want to sweat at the sight/contrast of the Amity Island sunshine, tense up at John Williams' score, and be (almost) nostalgic for a past family trip to Cape Cod. This film is almost like the antithesis of Chicago: instead of hitting all the wrong chords, this film hits all of the right ones for me.

   The happiest moment of the film, for me, was definitely the ending. I feel this way because (even though I am left to wonder how/when they get back to shore) there is a real sense of accomplishment, especially in Martin Brody (Roy Scheider) -- an everyday policeman who (ironically) took a vacation to escape crime and saves the Amity Islanders. Along with that, I love how Brody ends up killing the shark with a combustible oxygen can. One reason I love this so much is because Marine biologist Matt Hooper (Richard Dreyfuss, NOT the father of Julia Louis-Dreyfus from Seinfeld) scolds Brody of the dangers in those cans falling, and in that moment, he uses Hooper's warning as a genius way of ridding Amity Island of the Great White. The second reason I am head-over-heels for this scene is because the exterminator of the Great White ends up not being the salty dog captain Quint (Robert Shaw), but rather a simple, out-of-town family man who is in it not for the money, but rather for the safety of Amity Island beach goers. Furthermore, he no longer has to be afraid of the water -- even though I would probably feel the opposite!


   Other than that, I don't know what other new things I can say about this film -- it's great, in every single way: exquisite acting/timing, masterful tracking/P.O.V. shots, timeless special effects, and a perfect depiction of who and what it truly takes to save the day. It's a film that brings joy (along with Aquaphobia) to boys and girls everywhere, and still holds up after almost 42 long years.

No comments:

Post a Comment