Thursday, May 11, 2017

Caitlin Willis - Rebel Without a Cause

Caitlin Willis
Intro. to Film Studies
5.5.17

Rebel Without a Cause

Image result for rebel without a cause

          I surprised myself by liking this movie. Going into the movie, I expected something different but I wasn't disappointed. I'd heard of the main actor, James Dean but I've never seen him in a movie. I can see what the hype is about.
          I enjoyed watching the film. The plot was interesting; a new kid comes around and the popular kids start to pick with him. He makes a friend who ends up joining the mix. A girl comes around and he starts to fall for her. But the new boy and the girl's boyfriend start to have problems and decide to solve it by playing chicken, a twisted game where two cars and basically driven off a cliff and whichever driver jumps out first is called a chicken. When Jim (James Dean) jumps out first, he fears that he's the chicken only to realize that Buzz (the girl's boyfriend) died. Chaos ensues as everyone struggles to leave the scene but James stares in shock as the car hits the area below. 
          The death of Buzz affects everyone differently. Jim rushes home and tells his parents about it and insists they go to the police. This absolutely shocked me. Jim wasn't close to his parents so you'd think he would completely abandon the idea of going to them for anything, especially not a crime he just partook in. The girl looks for a shoulder to cry on and that happens to be James, which irritated me because her boyfriend just died and she already found a new one.
          A twist at the end made me a bit upset though. Plato, Jim's friend ended up being killed. The ending was sad because all Plato wanted was a friend, or more like a replacement for his parents, who weren't present in his life. The movie just captivated me and I enjoyed watching it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment