Thursday, March 1, 2018

Malcolm X- Stephen Collins


Malcolm X is the second Spike Lee film we have watched this year and the third I have seen. So far, I have not see a bad film from him. This could be the best of the films I have seen from him [Yes, agreed  -  I always say, "A bad Spike Lee film is still as good as or better than the majority of films coming out of Hollywood today"].

Denzel Washington plays Malcolm X and is all about how he started this movement, his childhood and the drama behind it. Washington is magnetic in this role and I brought him in the role, which is hard in a lot of movies. He should have won the Oscar this year. Pacino won that year, can't go wrong with Pacino. I heard the movie (Roman J. Israel, Esq.) he's nominated this year isn't that good, but he great in it. It also didn't get a Best Picture nomination, and it should had [Agreed].

All the other actors are wonderful. Angela Bassett as his wife is great and has the best moments when she being terrified and they well acting. I love Spike Lee as Shorty. It just something about his appearance that I smiled at.

Image result for Spike Lee in Malcolm X


Spike Lee is a great director. I don't normally pay attention of how the film is shot and the cinematography, but if it impress me enough, I will notice. Like, in Ryan Coogler films, I like how Fruitvale Station how it was filmed with a dark and gritty tone, and in Creed with the fight scene is one continuous shot and in Black Panther in that 360 shot, but in there I was not pay attention to how it was film. All the Marvel movies look like they're filmed the same way. In here, I like how they drain the color pattle and how it goes black and white for some scene.   [I am both surprised and intrigued by this statement; could you possibly elaborate?  What did you notice?  Are the tone and look of the film consistent throughout the whole three plus hours?] .



Malcolm X is great. It's a powerhouse performance from Denzel, one of Spike Lee best film and performances. It doesn't feel like it three plus hours, but the run  time doesn't better. It's a great movie about social justice and the leader of the past and a great love letter to Malcolm X.

No comments:

Post a Comment