Friday, March 23, 2018

Chicago-Stephen Collins


Chicago is 2002 Best Picture winner musical directed by Rob Marshall and stars Renee Zellweger, Catherine Zeta-Jones, Richard Gere, John C. Reilly, and Queen Latifah and based on the play of the same name.


Chicago take place in 1924 in the titular city where Roxie Hart murder her husband and sent to prison for her crimes along with Velma, who also murder her husband. Velma is a performer and Roxie inspire to be one. Roxie becomes a star and their a bunch a musical numbers.


Chicago is a good movie but I don't if is a faithful adaptation. I never seen the play but my Mom is seeing it soon. I assume so because it is romanticize. It not too romanticize, unlike the remake of The Great Gatsby which was romanticize down to it production design.


The acting in this movie is good. They did a good job. Catherine Zeta-Jones won Best Supporting Actress that year and Latifah also was nominated.  Zeta-Jones and Latifah are probably the best two performances. They give great performances in the film. The other performers are great, Zellweger, Gere and Reilly.

I was more into the direction in the film. The choreography is the movie is great and it is done incredible well and the musical number are great. The direction is great, too. Marshall does a great job and is now doing Mary Poppins and Emily Blunt look amazing is that.


One thing I thought I would love are the songs. The songs are good and the musical numbers are great but I like musicals, so I thought I would hum these songs for weeks. I haven't seen The Greatest Showman yet, but the soundtrack is amazing. The musical numbers are great, like when they're performing "We Both Reached For The Gun. That is a great number. The one thing I think the film does a great job of is that it makes it clears that the musical numbers are not happening in real life.


I also thought is ended it abruptly. I was expecting more, but the story ends. The case ends and it mostly a story about a person 15 minutes of fame.


Chicago is good film. It's a great musical, has great songs, really good performances and great great choreography and direction. I seen it again.



No comments:

Post a Comment