Monday, January 30, 2017

Winter's Bone

The 2010 film Winter’s Bone centers around 17 year-old Ree (played by Jennifer Lawrence), who takes care of her sick mother and two siblings. A local sheriff shows up one day telling her that her father put up their house and property for his bail and must show up for a trial date or they lose everything. She is determined to find her father, dead or alive and asks people associated with her father about his whereabouts.She asks a few people who know her father, all of which tell her to go away and leave it alone before she finds herself in trouble. She tries to find alternate ways to support her younger siblings and keep her house, whilst still trying to find her father. After going through a lot of trouble, she finds out in the end that her father had been dead, and sunken in the bottom of a lake.

The start of the film seemed a little dull and slow but I was still interested in what was going to happen. When they brought her to find her father's body is when the film became a little gruesome. Ree had to help cut off her father's hands. I think Jennifer Lawrence's performance was great in this movie.I felt bad for how many hardships her character had to go through at such a young age. However, her traumatizing experience saved the house which meant she didn't have to separate from her siblings. I thought the movie was extremely stereotypical, having a lot of people living in the south inside trailers, lots of them making, and/or doing drugs.I'm glad it was at least a good ending and I wasn't disappointed with it. Overall, I liked the movie but I'm not sure if I would re watch it.

No comments:

Post a Comment