Monday, January 23, 2017

Midterm- Fences

Kaysha Carrasquillo
1.23.17
"Intro to Film Studies"
Image result for fences book son                                       Image result for fences book son


Fences

After reading the book "Fences" by August Wilson I expected the movie to be just like book, but in shorter detail. In the book you can sense the tension between Troy Maxson (the main character, father) and his son Cory Maxson, they argued a lot and the mother, Rose would always have to get involved to separate them even though she had her own problems with Troy. Troy was very strict, and felt that he was in control of everything because he financially maintains the household, so that would cause him to pick fights with most of the characters. I honestly didn't notice the tension that much throughout the book, but watching the film I noticed it a whole lot, but it made me question why he has something against Cory so much, when all Cory tries to do is be like his father. They repeatedly say in the film that he does sports (football) just like his father did, and the characters also tell the father this but he doesn't seem to care. On another hand I feel like Troy doesn't try to be harsh to Cory on purpose, I feel like he does this to show Cory that things aren't handed to you in life, so you must work your hardest to get/earn it. Troy is a man all about respect and he consistently mentions how he provides for the household, and everything they have is ALL because of him, I think that him saying this is to just show and teach his son but he does it in his own mean ways, only because he cares and loves his son. This is my big in take/interpretation that I took from this film/book, I feel like this was the overall message for it, I highly recommend that this film is a must see.

No comments:

Post a Comment