Tuesday, April 28, 2015

Crooklyn-Julianna Migliaro

Out of all of the movies we have watched, Crooklyn has turned out to be on my list of favorites. And while I feel I have stated that in a good amount of my blog posts, this one is of different standards.

The movie itself is very real, very easy to relate to and very appropriate by means of representing culture of the time. The characters are very well developed and the story line is rather easy to keep in touch with, thanks to realistic events like financial struggles and the pains of death. I wasn't exactly ever bored.

In this post, I'd like to focus on one character in particular; Troy. The daughter of Carolyn and Woody who are struggling very much so with making ends meet. During the movie, we notice how passionate Woody is with his music, and how worried Carolyn is that maybe his music isn't enough to help keep the family afloat so to speak. The two parents go through a temporary separation, and during this time is when Troy [not Tony] really develops.

She's a very young girl, very immersed in what it is she enjoys, as all young kids are. However, when her parents temporarily separate, she really begins to grow up, as she is forced to do. While you see she intimidates her siblings and vice versa, we notice that there is nobody she cares more for. And eventually, her parents have her spend the summer with her aunt as they try to get finances together, and she comes back to deal with the death of her mother. It is here we see her struggle. How is life even fair?

The reason I wanted to focus so much on Troy is that I see her in myself. I know how it is to lose a parent young, and I know what it is to have a childhood taken away.

Thank you for showing us this film.

No comments:

Post a Comment