Friday, February 2, 2018

Fruitvale Station-Stephen Collins

Image result for fruitvale station film stills



Fruitvale Station is the emotional 2013 [docu-]drama directed by Ryan Coogler about Oscar Grant's (Michael B. Jordan) last day before he was fatally shot at the title's train station on New Year's Day 2009.


The film is a very emotional gust-punching film. Coogler said, "I wanted the audience to get to know this guy, to get attached, so that when the situation that happens to him happens, it's not just like you read it in the paper, you know what I mean? When you know somebody as a human being, you know that life means something." He achieved this. We know what's coming, but when is does happen? It's very emotional. 


Michael B. Jordan shines as Oscar. I bought him as the character 100%. Octavia Spencer  is great in everything, but it bothered me that she was Oscar's mom. Jordan was about 25 at the time of release and Spencer was 40, so there is not a big gap between their ages [could she not have been a young mother?].  


Ryan Coogler is a great director for someone who is 31. I like the way he directs. It feels differentand I like his style. Coogler and Jordan could become one of the best actor-director combo very soon, like DeCaprio (or DeNiro) and Scorsese




I really like the ending. Oscar's death is handled really well. I loved how the death effects everyone around him. I also loved the emotions his girlfriend's faces is when she doesn't want to tell the daughter. I don't get why it is in the shower, but the emotions is pretty fantastic.


Fruitvale Station is a great fantastic emotional drama about the celebration of one's life. The performances are fantastic (especially, Michael B. Jordan) and is a great introduction to Ryan Coogler as a director. It's hard to watch but a great payoff.



No comments:

Post a Comment