Saturday, February 17, 2018

Did the Right Thing - GO SEE BLACK PANTHER!



Ryan Coogler is arguably the most relevant writer/director working today, and in my opinion he is solidly three for three.  His most recent offering Marvel's Black Panther transcends its superhero genre  -  it truly is a marvel.  It is revolutionary.

The Black Panther, T'Challa, is not the only one donning the mask  -  his nation, his homeland, Wakanda hides its true identity from the world.  Although it appears to outsiders as a third-world pre-industrialized African nation, it is in fact the Super Power, albeit one that has long chosen a path of isolationist policy.  But rather than getting bogged down in a long-winded analysis, this post is [or at least should be] rather a call to arms. Like its title says, "GO SEE BLACK PANTHER!"

If you are reading this you are most likely familiar with both Fruitvale Station and Creed, and thus know the potential of any future collaborations between Coogler and actor Michael B Jordan;  Black Panther will not disappoint.  It may however leave you scratching your head, asking yourself, What did I just see?  I, for one, have seen many films and have never seen anything like this.

In addition to going to see Black Panther may I strongly recommend the following list of films and readings that I have recently experienced with my students that inform my understanding of Coogler's most recent achievement:


The beforementioned Fruitvale Station and Creed.

Malcolm X. Dir. Spike Lee. Feat. Denzel Washington, Angela Basset, Bobby Seale, Al Sharpton,
      and Nelson Mandela et al. 40 Acres and a Mule, 1992.

Achebe, Chinua. Things Fall Apart. 1959.

Dunbar, Paul Lawrence. "We Wear the Mask." 1896.

Ellison, Ralph. "Battle Royal" from Invisible Man. 1952.

Haley, Alex and Malcolm X. The Autobiography of Malcolm X. 1965.

Hughes, Langston. "The Negro Speaks of Rivers." 1921.

Wilson, August. The Century Cycle.


A final note or two: please leave comments (if you are in my class I may even award points); I think it important to note that Black Power [sic] celebrates not only the oppressed but also celebrates women like few if any films before it; finally, GO SEE BLACK PANTHER!

2 comments:

  1. I was lucky enough to see Black Panther on its opening night and I cant agree with you more. Black Panther was visually outstanding, but more than this it is an empowering and thoughtful film. It truly transcends just being a super hero film in some made up universe because the ideas and themes in it are so applicable to the world around us. Wakanda being somewhat of a hidden marvel that goes unnoticed really plays with the reality that people tend to overlook Africa. I think the biggest theme in the film is that the continent is so much more than what we take it for.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Black Panther was just.. incredible. I saw it three times over the break and I honestly regret nothing. Marvel never seems to disappoint. I loved that there was so much representation of me, and this time, in a positive light. I loved seeing my people portrayed as King's and Queen's. I loved that Wakanda, a technological powerhouse, was located in Africa, a continent most would view as underdeveloped. Black Panther exceeded every expectation I had for it. Two hours and fifteen minutes of black power and greatness. I love it! All I can say is, what a time to be alive.

    ReplyDelete