Thursday, June 2, 2016

The Great Gatsby (Spoilers)

I've read the book and have seen the most recent adaptation of this movie before we watched both versions in class. I love this story and the symbolism behind it. It also helps that this movie takes place in the Roaring 20's which is an era that has always captivated me. I still like the newer movie better because I'm a sucker for Leonardo DiCaprio and it's much more vibrant than the older version. I also love the music in the 2013 adaptation so that contributes to my favoritism. Both movies stayed pretty true to the movie which I appreciate since I've read the book.  Gatsby's obsession with Daisy at first glance seems romantic and charming and like every girls dream. But his possessiveness of Daisy puts her in a tough place that eventually leads to his tragic death. He wants to know that Daisy has only ever loved him and puts her up on a pedestal, almost not seeing her as a person. Gatsby's expectations of their love causes him to think she deserves the world, and is very protective of her to a fault. He was so stuck in the past that he couldn't see why their relationship just couldn't work.

No comments:

Post a Comment