Thursday, May 12, 2016

The Great Gatsby '74/'13





The Great Gatsby comparison.


Now having finally seen not one but two of the Great Gatsby's, I've noticed a few big distinctions between the two. I've never read the original book by Fitzgerald so it wont be in my place to say whether the actors stayed true to their character, I'm solely going to go off who I thought played their role well. 


Image result for difference between the great gatsby 1974 and 2013
 Jay Gatsby 

These two actors took a completely different path on portraying their character. I cant say I like one more than the other because they both did a good job. Redford (1974) took on the calm and collective approach, making Gatsby look mysterious, Id have to say it made his scenes more intense,but also bland at time, many times. Di Caprio (2013) added  "oomf" he displayed a lot more emotion than Redford, at times overdone but making the movie all the more exciting. He showed the true emotion of a guy in his situation.


Image result for the great gatsby 1974 vs 2013
Daisy

Now here is where I become biased. Mia (1974) was completely wretched. I couldn't stand seeing her on the screen. At first I thought I just  didn't like way they presented girls in general but it was more than that. It was her horrible scenes, the overdone emotional breakdowns, the way she moved and the things she did made absolutely no sense to me. Her yellow teeth. The way she always always always seemed like a damsel in distress. Awful. Now, Carey (2013) was more appealing to watch. She seemed distant enough which worked in her favor since she skipped out on Jay at the End.



Image result for the great gatsby 1974 2013 comparison
Nick

Sam (1974) was boring. He was way to unattached to his character to have any lasting impression. When I think of his character nothing really stands out. Hes supposed to be the leading character and yet theres nothing special about him.. Tobey (2013) like Di Caprio ( 2013) added a little more to the movie that made it great. The way he delivered the lines and his narrating made the movie intriguing.Plus, he was something to look at.

Image result for the great gatsby 2013


The great Gatsby 2013 was truly amazing, the ending was so impacting and the soundtrack was lovely and riveting.
Magic

No comments:

Post a Comment