Thursday, February 5, 2015

Senseless Murder Is Romanticized- Armani Maldonado

Written Review of Badlands
Armani Maldonado


Ugh, this movie was pretty horrible. Though I have only seen like half of it. I still do not approve. Now, the most I know about the first half of the movie is apparently some puppies were shot and killed. That alone makes me pretty upset, being generally pro-animal rights. Anyway, yeah this movie is pretty problematic.
First of all, the fact that the murderer and I guess protagonist (???) Kit, played by Martin Sheen, is being romanticized is a big no-no for me. I don't think the fact that they casted a conventionally attractive man to play him was an accident. They wanted the audience to like him and I don't think that is a good thing to do even if it is to get some good ratings. 

I will not lie, the movie did not leave me bored. But, I consistently found myself wondering why I am feeling forgiving of this man. Just because he had some personal issues did not make his actions okay. Then to try to romanticize the strange relationship between him and his partner (accomplice?) , Holly played by Sissy Spacek, in crime, seemed very odd. I felt like that companionship was forced anyway so to build a platonic relationship like that made me somewhat uncomfortable. 


1 comment: