Wednesday, December 20, 2017

Crooklyn-Stephen Collins


Crooklyn...one of the two Spike Lee movie to be rated PG-13. Kinda surprising. Is it a good film? Yeah. Is it Spike Lee's best film? I don't know, but it is pretty good. [Agreed  -  I always like to say a mediocre or even a bad Spike Lee film is generally better than most stuff out there  -  but that's just me.  Or is it?]

Crooklyn is set in Bedford-Stuyvesant [Technically Fort Greene which neighbors Bed-Stuy  -  Bed-Stuy was feat. in Do the Right Thing   -  Spike Lee grew up in Fort Greene and Mr. Monahan lived there prior to moving to New Haven] area part of Brooklyn and follows a black family living in 1973. It follows a young girl Troy and her family with her strict mother and struggling musician father [good]What sets Troy apart from her siblings?  How large is her family and other than her father's struggles what is the dynamic?

Crooklyn is fine...I guess. I liked it enough but wasn't amaze by it [Not even its soundtrack?]. I liked that...liked Do the Right Thing it take place a suburb area. While that took place during a day, this takes place during several months and focus on a family relationship, mostly a daughter-mother relationship.

I do admire the relationship between Troy and her mother. I felt they have a strong relationship together and felt like a real daughter-mother relationship. Zelda Harris was great as Troy and Alfre Woodard was great as her mother, Carolyn. I also like the father (Delroy Lindo). The brothers character were not that interesting, but I like they weren't based on stereotypical characters tropes.

I glad I saw Crooklyn. It has a nice mother-daughter relationship with Troy and Carolyn, play incredibly well by Zelda Harris and Alfre Woodard. I like suburban area the film set in. I don't think it's Spike Lee's best, but definitely up there.



No comments:

Post a Comment